Retinal Eye Care in Houston, TX
Eye Excellence in Houston is dedicated to helping people in Missouri City and the surrounding areas of Texas maintain healthy vision. It is our goal to provide the highest quality of care for diseases of the retina. Board-certified ophthalmologist Mary T. Green, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.C.S. personalizes cutting-edge retina care using the latest medical knowledge and technology.
Retina and Eye Health
The retina, located at the back of your eye, is what turns light into electrical impulses that send signals to the brain. The brain converts the impulses into images, complete with color. The retina, with its millions of nerves and receptors, is essentially responsible for your vision. Damage to the retina equals damage to, and even loss of, vision.
Eye Excellence can preserve your vision through early screening for retinal disease. We have top-quality, state-of-the-art technological equipment that can spot early signs of damage. Moreover, we employ a highly trained and experienced staff of professionals that will treat you with the utmost care.
Common Retinal Conditions
- Retinal tear—a tear that forms in the retina which can lead to retinal detachment.
- Retinal detachment—fluid passes through a retinal tear or break causing detachment.
- Macular pucker—scar that forms over the center of your retina (the macula). A macular pucker can cause blurred and distorted central vision.
- Macular hole—a hole forms in the macula resulting in abrupt blurred or distorted vision.
- Macular degeneration—degeneration of the central spot in the retina, causing loss of the central field of vision.
- Diabetic retinopathy—deterioration of the blood vessels in the back of your eye causing the retina to swell or the blood vessels to break and bleed into the retina.
Retinal Disease Symptoms
Factors that affect your susceptibility to retinal diseases include other diseases, such as diabetes and the normal aging process. Your risk for retinal disease further increases if you have experienced any trauma to the eye or if retinal disease runs in your family. Symptoms associated with retinal disease include the following:
- Blurred vision
- Distorted vision
- Seeing floating specks
- Defects in the field of vision
- Lost vision or other problems
What Is Macular Degeneration?
Macular degeneration is a condition commonly associated with aging. It causes loss of the central field of vision through damage to the macula, a small part of the retina located in the middle of the retina. It reduces your ability to see straight ahead, read and recognize faces. It causes blurry vision and can eventually lead to blindness.
What Is Diabetic Retinopathy?
Diabetic retinopathy is the most common eye disease among diabetics and has recently become a top cause of blindness in the United States. It causes changes to and weakens the blood vessels in the retina. The blood vessels can swell and leak or close off, preventing essential nutrients from reaching the retina.
Once diabetic retinopathy sets it, any damage done cannot be undone. This is another reason why it’s so important to have your eyes regularly checked. If caught early enough, the problem can be treated immediately to prevent the disease from spreading and causing further damage.
Advanced diabetic retinopathy symptoms include the following:
- Blurred or cloudy vision
- Eventual blindness
Effective Retina Treatment and Follow-Up Care
Many retinal problems, if detected early, can be treated so that vision is fully restored. Even in those cases where damage is irreversible, early detection can prevent it from getting worse. Regular eye tests can go a long way to keeping your vision intact as you age.
Eye Excellence will thoroughly examine your eyes and check for signs of disease. If you already have retinal disease, we will develop a treatment plan for you that will stop it from progressing.
How Much Does Retinal Eye Care Treatment Cost in Houston, TX?
- Even if your insurance plan doesn’t cover vision correction, you can use cash, a credit card, or approved financing for payment.
- Choose from no-interest plans, extended payment options up to 48 months and no down payment.
Please visit our financing page for more information.
Don’t suffer from failing vision. Let us help you see clearly to a bright future. If you live in Missouri City or the surrounding areas of Texas, contact Eye Excellence to schedule an appointment at our Houston office. We are here to serve, protect and improve your vision.